Friday, March 16, 2012

Graham’s Big Announcement

I saved this for the first post in the new blog book. 
After telling our families, we were finally ready to share the news with the rest of our friends that WE ARE EXPECTING!  Baby Millington #2 is on the way. 
We decided to let Graham share the news, so on February 10th, 2012, I put the following status update on Facebook along with this picture (2 years, 1 month, 18 days old):
“Graham has a big announcement. Check out his shirt!
Sharing the news on day 100 of my pregnancy. Baby Millington #2 is set to arrive on 8/8/12!”

Here are a few more photos from Graham’s “Big Brother” photo shoot.  What a handsome little dude:






So, now let’s backtrack. 
Nick and I found out we were expecting on December 5th, 2011.  We were overjoyed but I was not terribly surprised because I had been feeling pregnant far before we could get any confirmation.  I don’t recall having any pregnancy symptoms with Graham, but with this pregnancy I started showing almost immediately, I have been nauseous almost every day, and very tired (hence falling so far behind on the blog).  I spent almost three months sleeping instead of blogging and doing other things during Graham’s naps.  I usually get up several times a night and I have been enjoying vivid and strange dreams :)
We had our first doctor’s appointment and confirmed that I was cooking one (and only one) baby (phew).  Then we were off to our vacation in Mexico and the all-inclusive drinks were lost on me but Graham and I both enjoyed some virgin piña coladas and strawberry daiquiris.  In retrospect, I probably had a hard time on the Mexico trip because I was so tired during those early stages of pregnancy. 
Our doctor’s appointments continued to go well with a strong heartbeat and positive ultrasounds/blood tests confirming a healthy/low risk baby. 
Graham has come to all the doctor’s appointments and he has been a real trooper.  When I say I am going to the doctor, he says “Mommy be brave” because that is what he knows he needs to be when he goes for his own doctor’s appointments.  Here he is at one of the appointments, enjoying the toy activity block they had set up (even though I’m not sure you can tell that he is having fun from the look on his face). (2 years, 2 months, 12 days old):

At around 18 weeks of pregnancy, I finally started to feel better so I have been enjoying almost two weeks of MUCH less nausea and more energy!
On March 14th, 2012 (Graham – 2 years, 2 months, 20 days old) the day finally arrived for us to find out if Graham was getting a little brother or a little sister.  Nick and Graham were pretty excited while we waited:

Graham found a new book in the waiting room that kept him occupied until the doctor was ready to see us:



Before the gender reveal, the doctor reviewed the health of the baby once more and the brain, heart, spine, stomach, and size all looked good.  Nick got to see for himself that our baby has 10 fingers and 10 toes :)  Finally, the doctor said “and now let’s move down, are you ready, there it is, you are going to have a BOY!” 
After the appointment, Nick had to go straight to work, but Graham and I had the rest of the day to get used to the idea of a baby brother.  Nick and I hadn’t talked to Graham much about the baby for a couple of reasons.  Graham is a big mouth, so we didn’t want him to spill the beans before we were ready to share the news, and we also decided we wanted to wait to find out what we were having so we could discuss the new addition to our family in more concrete terms with Graham.  So, after finding out, it was the first day we could really introduce the concept of a baby brother to Graham and Mommy thought the perfect way to bring it up was to go shopping!
First, Graham and I headed to the bookstore.  We bought the book he had loved reading in the waiting room and I checked out some baby brother books but didn’t find one I liked enough to buy.  All the books talk about what a pain the baby brother is going to be (but it will all be worth it someday) and I’m not really sure that is the initial message I want to send to Graham about his baby brother.  Next, we headed to get some new trucks because with two boys I can now view the toys as a more long term investment.  Finally, it was time for a really big and really special present for Graham FROM his baby brother. 
Graham’s baby brother bought him a train set!  I can’t even begin to describe how obsessed Graham is with the train set.  He gave the box hugs all afternoon while it was still closed (because I was waiting to set it up during his nap):

His eyes just about tripled in size when Nick brought Graham into the kitchen for the big train set reveal after his nap:


Graham skipped dinner because he couldn’t pause long enough to take a bite; he was so busy saying “play with train set” over and over and over again. 
When it was time for Graham to go to bed, he had a huge meltdown because he was so distraught at the thought of leaving his train set:

He finally calmed down and played with one of his new trucks before going to bed.  He peacefully slept through the night and woke up normally.  When Nick went in to get him, there was no “hello Daddy.”  The first thing out of Graham’s mouth was “play with train set” and he ran at top speed into the kitchen for round two of play.  I was thrilled to discover that Graham had not forgotten who gave him the train set that he loved so much.  In this video, you can see that Graham knows “baby brother gave you the train set.” (2 years, 2 months, 21 days old):

Nick and I have already started tossing around name ideas and we are hoping the next few months will be an opportunity to really help Graham understand what is going to happen, give us time to arrange the space and stuff we need for Baby Boy Millington #2, and continue to enjoy a complication free and healthy pregnancy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment