Graham and his buddies went apricot picking! Apparently, apricots have a very short picking window, so we were really lucky to go on a beautiful afternoon and find an abundance of ripe, juicy apricots!
Cherise and I carpooled to the farm and Graham and Kenzie had a great time laughing, chatting, and holding hands in the back seat:
When we got there, the kids were given buckets and picking tools:
Cherise and Kenzie were the best at using the tools:
We paid for the apricots in our bucket at the end, but were allowed unlimited eating on the field while picking and Graham took full advantage. It ended up being one messy adventure:
Kenzie and Graham loved stealing fruit out of each other’s buckets and Graham was confused when he discovered a lone plum in his bucket:
When Rylan arrived, we had a chance for some photo ops:
The kids looked so sweet in that big beautiful apricot orchard:
Graham picked a few apricots from the tree, but mostly liked taking them from the ground or out of buckets and shoving them into his mouth:
At the end of our visit, Graham picked up a clump of dirt, thinking it was an apricot, and tried to eat it. Poor kid got quite a shock and wasn’t so happy:
Our apricot picking adventure would have been perfect were it not for a small mishap the next morning…
For breakfast, I decided to give Graham some of the apricots that we brought home with us. He had done such a nice job eating them the day before, that I didn’t worry about putting a whole apricot on his plate. When I saw that he had shoved the entire piece of fruit in his mouth, I decided it was best to remove the pit, but when I pried open his mouth, the pit was gone! Graham was acting fine, but I was still worried and called the pediatrician right away. While I was waiting for a call back, I looked at information on the internet about swallowing an apricot seed and discovered that basically all stone pits are toxic and it was going to be a bigger deal than I had first thought. A nurse called me right away and seemed very concerned as she was asking me if Graham was having trouble breathing and if he was able to swallow. She was just starting to talk about calling poison control to determine how toxic one apricot pit is to a toddler, when I looked in Graham’s lap and found the seed! Phew, crisis averted, but I was one scared mama and we have a new house policy. No whole stone pit fruits allowed in sweet baby Graham’s little hands!
No comments:
Post a Comment