I changed course and packed our bag to head to the YMCA for a Mommy-instructed swim lesson with Graham. When we got out to the car, it was so hot that I changed my mind again and marched Graham back inside to put on his sun suit so we could go to the beach. I thought the coastal breezes would be just what we needed to beat the heat.
We got to the beach and Graham plopped himself down and started playing with his sand toys but didn’t show much interest in running around (even though I brought a dump truck for him to push around):
He eventually heaved himself up, threw off his hat, and went to check out the waves but just stared from a safe distance with a look of concern (the noise and power of the waves still make him nervous):
We were at the beach for no more than 20 minutes when Graham announced, “all done beach, go home.” I was shocked, what kid actually asks to leave the beach, but it was hot and luckily, I still had Graham’s packed swimming bag in the car, so instead of heading straight home, we went to the YMCA for a swim lesson after all.
Graham had a great time. He ended up being much happier swimming as opposed to playing at the beach:
He did lots of kicking, some breast stroke, reaching for a ball, blowing bubbles, climbing out and waiting on the edge to jump in, and monkey walking along the side when it was time to get out. His least favorite thing was when we practiced floating on his back and his absolute favorite was when we sang the motorboat song and it went soooooo fast.
But, as it turned out, the big event wasn’t until we got out of the pool.
Graham had his first shower today!!!
I usually bundle Graham up and take him straight home to a bath, but it was so hot when we got out of the pool that I thought I would try rinsing him off in the shower. In the past, he has been very afraid and cried straight through any attempts I have made. Today, he was thrilled. We sat on a bench and used a handheld shower. He was nervous at first, then started asking for “more shower,” and eventually wrestled the handheld piece away from me and went at it himself.
After a quick stop at the play cube on the way out, he went home squeaky clean and so, so proud of himself:
Oh, and one Cute Antic/Noteworthy Tidbit to share:
- When Graham requests an activity that can’t be done right away, I will give him a list of what needs to be done first. So, for example, Graham says “bottle, bottle,” and I say, “first we need to get you in your high chair and then put your bib on and then you can have your bottle, does that sound like a good plan?” Lately, when Graham is doing something he enjoys, he has started to chirp, “good plan, good plan!”
No comments:
Post a Comment