Monday, April 16, 2012

I See… (2 years, 3 months, 24 days old)

Graham had his second eye exam today.  He had gone through the “Infant See” exam program when he was younger but this was his first real exam. 
After checking in, Graham headed straight for the kids' corner while we waited for the doctor.  He loved playing with the different glasses frames, the stuffed dog, and the train table:

Before the doctor came in to see him, Graham had some pictures of his eyes taken:

Next, he got to ride up and down in the exam chair, point out some pictures on the wall, grab at 3-D bugs, and practice stepping on and off the edge of the exam chair:




The real fun began when the doctor arrived.  Dr. Corby has a little boy about a month younger than Graham, so she was just fantastic with him.  Graham loved her right away and he cooperated through the entire exam and enjoyed all of it (except for the drops in his eyes when it was time to dilate them):



I got a video of Graham identifying pictures on the wall as they got progressively smaller (you may need to turn the volume up to hear what is going on).  Eventually, Graham noticed that the doctor was looking at the wall behind him to see the pictures that he was identifying through a mirror in front of him, so Graham started cheating and looking at the bigger pictures on the wall, but not until after the doctor had completed the assessment she needed to get done:

Graham got a glowing review at the end.  He is still slightly far sighted, but that is age appropriate.  His eyes are healthy, working perfectly, show no signs of color blindness, and are developing at the same rate, which is good news for his brain development as well (phew!).  The doctor just gushed about Graham’s language skills and said he performed better at the exam than most 3.5 year olds :)  Dr. Corby and I also swapped some info about preschools because her son goes to one of the places I am strongly considering for Graham.  Graham should go back for another eye exam next year and then not again until he turns 5.     
At the end of the appointment, Graham was thrilled to be able to pick a prize from the prize bin.  He selected a bright red flashing ball, but his favorite present was the pair of disposable sunglasses:

Since Graham had to stay indoors for the next three hours (due to the dilation), we decided to go shopping for a few more shirts.  Graham picked out several new shirts for himself, but the most fun was selecting the first new shirt to buy for baby brother.  The striped under-sleeves were too cute to pass up:

We also paused to try on a big boy helmet:

We are in the market for a helmet because Graham has known for several days that his baby brother bought him a present that would be arriving in a big box.  Well, when we got home, the big box was there and Graham couldn’t wait to open his new scooter!  I barely got the box open before Graham had grabbed the scooter and taken off down the hall.  Check out the video.  He couldn’t stop talking about how his baby brother got him a new green scooter:

We ended up passing on the monster helmet, but another big box arrived, so Graham will be trying on several helmets (along with kneepads, elbow guards, and wrist guards) that I ordered, when he wakes up from his nap. 
Other Cute Antics and Noteworthy Tidbits:
  • Graham adores our housekeeper, Maria.  On Tuesdays, he wakes up and asks if Maria is coming, he often refers to Maria as his best friend, and when he sees me frantically picking up, he says “need to pick up for Maria.”  Yesterday he spilled some water (on purpose) on his bed.  I let him know that I was not pleased about it, but I couldn’t stop laughing when he said “oh no, look at this mess, Maria is going to have to clean up this horrible mess.”
  • We had a fun dinner out as a family.  Graham didn’t last as long at the table as he usually does and announced (far before we had the chance to order dessert) that he was ready to go home, but before he decided he was done, he behaved really well.  He said he was excited to go out to dinner and then I thought he looked like such a big boy as he ate his meal and then did his art project (2 years, 3 months, 22 days old):


  • Graham has been working his way through the rest of the colorful fishies that we bought to put in his plastic eggs for the egg hunt.  He finally finished them and when he pointed to the empty bag and said “I want some more fishies,” I had to sadly tell him that they were all gone.  Unfazed, he said “fishies all gone?  Want some more fishies, get out a new bag.”  
  • We went on a mommy/son shopping date at an art store.  I think Graham got a little bored because we weren’t moving as quickly through the aisle as we usually are when I am pushing him in a shopping cart.  He got more and more antsy and then finally said, “please let me out of cart, I want to run a little wild.”
  • Graham had another cute snuggle-fest in our bed this morning.  He hopped into bed to say good morning to Daddy and then immediately requested that we tuck him all the way into the covers.  Awww, too cute <3 (2 years, 3 months, 24 days old):




No comments:

Post a Comment