Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween (22 months, 8 days old)

Well, our Halloween had some bumps, but all in all it was a fantastic day! 
We started off the day by heading over to Growing Times. 
Before we left, Graham was playing with his new Potty book.  We had only read Graham the book twice so I was really impressed when he picked it up and said “bye bye diaper” and then turned to the page where the child sleeps through the night without a diaper and said “sleepy.”  I whipped out my camera to take a video and although I did catch the intended footage, look what happened first:

I love how he said “oh no” before ripping the page.  In a court of law, I think that would prove that it was a premeditated act.  I had decided to return the book because Nick forwarded me a scathing review of it, but it looks like Graham REALLY wanted us to keep it. 
So, after bump number one, we were out the door to Graham’s class.  
Costumes were optional at class and although I brought his costume, the only part Graham was interested in wearing was his hat (while he was requesting to go outside):

Once he was outside and figured out it wasn’t his usual sunhat, off the scarecrow hat came and he played costume-free the rest of the morning.  I got some pictures of Graham and his birthday buddy Audric (born at the same hospital a few hours after Graham) playing on the toy airplane:



When class was over, we headed back to the car and here comes bump number two, and this is a BIG one! 
I was juggling holding Graham, his diaper bag, and his costume when we got back to the car.  I threw everything in the trunk, slammed the door and then headed to the side of the car to load Graham in.  I pulled on the door – nothing, pulled again – nothing, OH NO!!!!  I locked my keys in the car.  I had opened the trunk without unlocking the rest of the car and when I closed the truck, it all automatically locked back up.  Although, this was a huge bump in our day, there were three blessings.  1. Graham was in my arms and not in the car, 2. My phone was in my pocket and not in my bag (locked in the car), 3. My AMAZING friend Cherise came to the rescue. 
My friend Cherise was at Growing Times with me and she and her daughter had driven away a few minutes before us.  I called her.  Ring, ring, ring, ring, HELLO!  Yes, Cherise picked up her phone.  She was at her husband’s office getting ready to go to lunch but she happily agreed to go to my house and pick up a spare set of keys and drive them back to me so Graham and I would be saved.  I’m so lucky to have met such a wonderful friend through PEP and Graham just adores Cherise’s daughter Kenzie.  Everything went off without a hitch and when Graham and I were safely back in the car (after Cherise delivered the spare set of keys) I couldn’t help smiling at how lucky I am to have such a great friend in my life.  Thank you Cherise and princess Kenzie!!!

Graham and I made it home an hour behind schedule and I rushed to get him lunch and through his pre-nap routine so he would be asleep by the time the plumber was scheduled to arrive.  I had made the appointment knowing that Graham would be asleep but because of bump number two, the plumber arrived moments after I put Graham down and he made so much noise that Graham wasn’t able to fall asleep until he left. 
So, bump number three.  Our boy, who was scheduled to nap from 2-5 or 5:30, ended up napping from 4-7.  Nick came home early from work and we had arranged to go trick-or-treating at a friend’s house but Graham slept right through that appointment.  As it got later and later, Nick and I watched the sun sink lower in the sky and basically gave up hope of trick-or-treating:

But, when Graham woke up at 7, even though it was already pitch black outside, we decided to quickly throw him in his costume and try to visit a few houses. 
Here is Graham, still half asleep, getting ready to go (with the hat lasting all of a few seconds):





The pictures from the first house are pretty blurry but I had to include them because you only have your very first trick-or-treating experience once (even though Graham didn't know what was going on, he was not shy about knocking on the door):



At first, Graham was confused and did a lot of staring but he caught on really quickly and it ended up being so much fun!  By the end of the night, Graham was carrying his own basket, running up to each door, knocking or ringing the bell, saying “trick-or-treat,” “happy Halloween,” “candy,” and “thank you,” and laughing with joy.  It was such a wonderful way to spend the evening, seeing our little boy so happy.  I wish every day could be Halloween:









Our neighborhood was not crowded at all, so Graham didn’t get overwhelmed and was only scared for a minute when the ghost answered the door and offered him candy from a bowl that had a skeleton’s hand waiting to grab at the fingers of little boys reaching for candy. 
Graham got to eat half of a fun-sized Hershey bar and went to bed whispering “happy Halloween!”

No comments:

Post a Comment