Wednesday, February 15, 2012

2 Year Doctor’s Appointment (took place on 1/10/12)

The day before Graham’s 2 year doctor’s appointment, he had the first flu of his life. 
Our poor, sweet boy was so brave, but was so sick.  He had a completely normal day and other than eating a light meal didn’t show any signs of not feeling well.  Graham was in his jammies and we were moments away from finishing his last bedtime story when out of the blue he threw up EVERYWHERE!  It seemed like an isolated incident so Nick and I got Graham cleaned up and put him to bed.  A few minutes later, he threw up again.  After changing his sheets and pajamas and brushing his teeth, we put him down again and again he threw up, so we finally clued in that something was wrong. 
Our little guy was such a trooper.  I pulled out the trundle bed and slept with Graham.  He would wake up, throw up, say “feeling little sickly, hold me mommy” then fall back asleep, before doing it all over again (and again and again).  By the morning he seemed to be feeling a little better and I was just glad we already had his doctor’s appointment scheduled so I could find out if there was anything more we could do for the little dude.  As a side note, it wasn’t until a few days later when Nick and I came down with Graham’s flu and it completely knocked us out—I’m talking totally incapacitated and feeling miserable—that I understood just how bad it was and just how well Graham had handled it.
By the time we got to the doctor’s office, Graham was back to normal and the doctor couldn’t believe what I was telling him about the night Graham had.  Graham was holding down all his food, smiling, exploring, and running up and down the halls so the doctor proclaimed him to be in perfect health, but we decided to wait an extra week before giving Graham his 2 year booster shots, so the appointment ended up being a two part event. 
The highlight, for Graham, at the first appointment was when he got to be weighed and measured in the big boy section (standing on his own instead of using the baby sitting scale) and he took the whole thing very seriously (2 years, 18 days old):




Next, Graham got a full physical and got two thumbs up from the doctor (2 years, 18 days old):

We discussed preschools, getting Graham off the bottle, making Graham’s first dentist appointment, and continuing to treat Graham’s mild eczema with basically no treatment because it is so mild.  The doctor told me Graham should be putting 2 word sentences together and I assured him that Graham was far, far beyond that, but of course Graham wouldn’t say a word to the doctor to prove that I was telling the truth.  It wasn’t until we did a running test down the hall (so the doctor could evaluate how Graham’s leg was healing after the break) and Graham said “I go running” that the doctor exclaimed about how verbal Graham was by being able to put three words together.  Oy, if only he could hear our little boy talking up a storm every day at home. 
Now, the best part of every visit, the stats!
Weight: 29 lbs, 8 oz – 67th percentile
Height: 36.5 inches – 92nd percentile
Head Size: 19.89 inches – 82nd percentile
The next week, we went back for Graham’s shots and the appointment was pretty quick and uneventful.  Graham continues to handle the shots really well both during (minimal fuss or crying) and after (no negative reactions/fever, etc.).  Since we only saw a nurse for the shots, we were in a different room and Graham’s favorite part was playing with all the new toys (2 years, 26 days old):

Graham’s next appointment isn’t until he is 3!
We are so glad Graham continues to be a healthy, happy, verbal, running, tall, lean, large-headed little boy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment